Dansko shoes, including clogs are well-known worldwide for the comfort they provide to the feet. Actually, these shoes promote foot health – the reason why are worn by most nurses and doctors.
As a nurse, I’m wearing only Dansko shoes while I’m practicing my job and I can’t contest their quality. These are the perfect shoes any doctor or nurse can wear at work and feel comfortable even if they are standing up almost 8 hours per day.
However, wearing them for a long period of time, Dansko shoes will catch a pretty bad odor. Better said, they stink pretty badly.
I tried alternating them with different shoes, washing my feet before, during, and after wearing them but still in vain. Actually I try wearing cotton socks with baking soda and even using all sorts of sprays…still nothing!
I was checked by the on-call dermatologist one night and my feet are bacteria-free. However, the doctor suggested me the following trick to clean my Dansko shoes. He said that he’s been using this trick since forever and he managed to get rid of the stink inside.
So, to get Dansko nursing shoes back on track and dissolve the stink, just use the following remedy!
- about 1/4 cup water, room temperature
- about 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 cleaning cloths
- an old toothbrush
Here’s what I did:
- I wiped the insides of the clogs with a cloth.
- I mixed the water and vinegar together in a cup.
- I dipped another cloth into the mixture, then wrung it out so that it wasn’t dripping wet. I used this to scrub the insides of the shoes (footbed, inside roof). Some elbow grease was necessary. #realtalk
- I dipped a toothbrush in the mixture and used it to reach funky nooks and crankys.
- I let the shoes air dry completely overnight.
It works wonders! No stink or vinegar smell. My feet and nose are really happy of this solution.